Carbonara Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese:
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced
- 1 pound girelle or cavatappi pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat to 350°F. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook pancetta until crispy, about
5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente; drain well.
In 5-quart saucepan over medium heat melt butter. With wire whisk, stir in flour to mix well.
(Mixture will look like wet sand. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly; cook until mixture has
thickened. Whisk in yolks until incorporated; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add
salt, pepper and remaining cheeses. Stir in cooked pasta and pancetta to mix well. Spoon
mixture into large baking dish. Bake 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare Breadcrumb topping: In small skillet, melt butter; add breadcrumbs; cook
for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Remove from
heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Remove baking dish from oven and top with breadcrumb
mixture; bake 5 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly.