Irish Soda Bread Scones
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks cold butter, 1/2 cup, diced
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup natural sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar, optional
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
Preheat oven to 365°F. In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway seeds,
baking soda, lemon peel and salt. With two forks, cut in butter, scissor-style until the size of
small peas. Stir in buttermilk and heavy cream just until blended.
Turn mixture onto sheet of parchment paper; shape into a round, about 1 inch thick. Brush with
egg; sprinkle with almonds and turbinado sugar. With large knife, score dough into 8 wedges,
Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
Prepare Glaze: In small bowl stir confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle scones
with glaze. Cut into wedges to serve. Serve warm.