- 14 small Campari tomatoes, each about 2 inches in diameter
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant, cut into1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 16-ounce box rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 cup pitted black and green olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut each tomato in half; place on parchment paper on cookie sheet. Top with garlic slices; drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in 3 tablespoons olive oil, cook eggplant, about 8 minutes, stirring frequently until lightly browned and tender. Remove to bowl. In same skillet over medium heat, in 1 tablespoon remaining olive oil, cook onion about 5 minutes until tender. Remove to bowl with eggplant.
Heat large pot of sated water to boiling. Add pasta; cook until al dente, as package directs. Drain pasta; return to pot. Stir in cooked tomatoes with their liquid, eggplant-onion mixture, olives, capers, basil, vinegar, salt and crushed red pepper. Stir to mix well. Serve with grated cheese if desired. Serve warm or can be served cold later.